1. CHALLENGE DESCRIPTION
- The contest contains 5 problems. Each problem will have a separate leaderboard and an associated weight. This weight denotes the problem’s contribution to your final score.
- The final leaderboard will be determined by the weighted mean of the ranks of a participant/team across all the individual leaderboards. The organizers reserve the right to change the weight of a problem during the competition.
- If a problem is not attempted by the participant, his/her rank in that problem is set to the total number of participants in the whole competition.
- To help you "Get Started" we have a starter kit available for each of these problems. We hope they are helpful; if you find any bugs, typos, or improvements, please send us a pull request.
- In case you have any queries, please reach out to us via the Discussion Forums or mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This Challenge will be run in accordance with these Official Rules ("Rules").
2. CHALLENGE START AND END DATES
Start date: 6th October, 2020, 12:00 UTC
End date: 27st October, 2020, 12:00 UTC
Duration: 3 weeks/21 days
AI Blitz #4 is open to all individuals, regardless of their age. Having included problems of varying difficulty, AI Blitz #4 has for its purpose providing education and the encouragement of updating one's knowledge.
4. ENTRY METHOD
No purchase is necessary to enter or win the challenge. Entry to the competition is free for all, through clicking the ‘Participate’ button on the challenge page and by agreeing to the challenge rules. There are no other requirements.
- The competition has prizes of:
- 1st place: 200 CHF
- 2nd place: 100 CHF
- 3rd place: 100 CHF
- 4th place : 100 CHF
- To be eligible for the prizes, participants will have to release the code to their solutions under an open source license of their choice. The submitted code is expected to be reproducible, and should produce the same score on the leaderboard.
- The winning participants will have to provide a valid and unexpired ID card or passport which AIcrowd will use only for the purpose of verifying the individual's identity in case of transferring the cash prize and for internal record keeping.
- Any and all prize(s) is(are) non transferable. All taxes, fees and expenses associated with participation in the Challenge or receipt and use of a prize are the sole responsibility of the Prize Winner(s). No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by winners is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for AIcrowd to use winner’s name and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
- The participation of AIcrowd employees and its affiliates, parents, agents, representatives, advertising and promotional agencies and members of the immediate family (parents, children or siblings) of these employees or any person with whom they are domiciled, are permitted to participate in the challenge but will not be eligible to win the cash prize.
- AIcrowd reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the Entry process or the operation of the Challenge or website or violates these Rules.
- In case a participant is building upon code from sources that are not owned by the participant, the participant is required to clearly attribute the sources. Failing which, the violating submissions, participants, teams will be disqualified.
- Any use of external public dataset is not allowed; participants must use the datasets made available by the AIcrowd for the purpose of training and testing their model.
- Winners' code must reproduce the score on the leaderboard, failing which they get disqualified.
7. ADDITIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The organizer reserves the right to amend the Rules and timeline without giving prior notification or any reasons thereof.
- In case of conflicts, the decision of the Organizers will be final and binding.
- Violation of the rules or other unfair activity may result in disqualification.
- By participating in the Challenge, each Participant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the Challenge, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action; and under no circumstances will a Participant be permitted to obtain any award for, and each Participant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages.
- Any resources (datasets, baselines, etc) released as a part of AI Blitz #4 can be used outside of the platform as long as a clear attribution is made to AI Blitz #4
Note: This challenge includes some problems which are independent research challenges.
In case of a conflict between the rules of AI Blitz #4 and the rules of an independent challenge, the rules of the independent challenge hold priority. Please go through the rules of the independent challenges below. In case of any confusion or conflict, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.
Submissions made to the independent challenges will be counted as valid submissions for both the AI Blitz #4 leaderboard, and the leaderboard of the independent challenge(s).
1. Challenge Rules
The challenge will have 3 rounds. The prizes are only for the winners of last round.
The rounds will be progressive in nature, where the first one will be simple csv based submission on a smaller and simpler dataset. The next two rounds will be model-based submission where participants have to submit their model in the structure provided by the AIcrowd team.
The participant agrees to use the Learning 2 Smell Challenge datasets exclusively for the purpose of participating in this competition. Any commercial, non-commercial or academic usage of the challenge datasets have to pre-approved by Firmenich.
Learning To Smell is open to all individuals above 16 years of age.
3. ENTRY METHOD
No purchase is necessary to enter or win the challenge. Entry to the competition is free for all, by clicking the ‘Participate’ button on the challenge page and by agreeing to the challenge rules. There are no other requirements.
The competition has prizes of:
1st place: 4,000 CHF
2nd place: 2,000 CHF
To be eligible for the prizes, participants will have to release the code to their solutions under an open source license of their choice. The submitted code is expected to be reproducible and should produce the same score as on the leaderboard.
Winners shall, as a condition for receiving their prize, grant to the Organizer a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable, irrevocable license to use their Submission Materials (and any intellectual property relating thereto) for any purpose, including the right to reproduce, modify, prepare derivative works, publicly display, sublicense, and distribute them
The winning participants will have to provide a valid and unexpired ID card or passport which the organizer will use only for the purpose of verifying the individual's identity in case of transferring the cash prize and for internal record keeping.
Any and all prize(s) is(are) non transferable. All taxes, fees, and expenses associated with participation in the Challenge or receipt and use of a prize are the sole responsibility of the Prize Winner(s). No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by winners is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for AIcrowd to use the winner’s name and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation unless prohibited by law.
The participation of the organizers’ organization employees and its affiliates, parents, agents, representatives, advertising and promotional agencies and members of the immediate family (parents, children or siblings) of these employees or any person with whom they are domiciled, are permitted to participate in the challenge but will not be eligible to win the cash prize.
The challenge organizers reserve the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the Entry process or the operation of the Challenge or website or violates these Rules.
In case a participant is building upon code from sources that are not owned by the participant, the participant is required to clearly attribute the sources. Failing which, the violating submissions, participants, teams will be disqualified.
Winners' code must reproduce the score on the leaderboard, failing which they get disqualified.
6. ADDITIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The organizer reserves the right to amend the Rules and timeline without giving prior notification or any reasons thereof.
In case of conflicts, the decision of the Organizers will be final and binding.
Violation of the rules or other unfair activities may result in disqualification.
By participating in the Challenge, each Participant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the Challenge, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action; and under no circumstances will a Participant be permitted to obtain any award for, and each Participant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages.
SEAM AI PARIHAKA FACIES CHALLENGE OFFICIAL RULES
PLEASE READ THESE OFFICIAL RULES CAREFULLY. ENTRY INTO THIS CHALLENGE CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ANY PART OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES, PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THIS CHALLENGE.
NO PURCHASE OR ENTRANCE FEE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING AND SUCH SHALL BE VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. Challenge Description
The SEAM AI Parihaka Facies Challenge (the "Challenge") is a competition to advance the state of the art in machine interpretation of three-dimensional (3D) images of underground geologic structures created by the seismic reflection method. The challenge involves identification of different geologic regions called "facies" in seismic images made during exploration and development of petroleum reservoirs. Your contribution may help to improve the efficiency, accuracy, and environmental impact of exploration for oil and gas resources. Seismic images are also used in the exploration and management of underground water reservoirs and in the monitoring of waste-disposal sites, including reservoirs where carbon dioxide is injected underground to avoid its release into the atmosphere in the process of carbon capture and storage. This will be the first of a series of challenges related to machine learning for geophysical remote sensing of Earth's shallow crust.
This Challenge will be run in accordance to these Official Rules (the "Rules").
The Challenge is organized and sponsored by SEG Advanced Modeling Corporation (SEAM), Tulsa, OK, U.S.A., a wholly-owned, not-for-profit subsidiary of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG).
3. SEAM Admins
"SEAM Admins" are any companies or organizations authorized by SEAM to aid with the administration or execution of this Challenge, including but not limited to AIcrowd SA.
4. Challenge Start and End Dates
The Challenge page on the AIcrowd website ("AIcrowd Site") gives the start and end dates of the competition.
There will be 2 rounds of submissions in total. The first round serves as an introduction to the interpretation of 3D seismic images; Round 1 will be scored, but no cash prizes will be given as a result of the scores of Round 1. All cash prizes will be given in accordance with the results of round 2.
Round 1: You will be required to become familiar with 3D seismic images of underground structures and design initial machine-learning architectures to label facies in an image. A fully-labelled training image consisting of an 3D array of real numbers of dimension 1006 by 782 by 590 will be available for supervised training. Each pixel in the training image represents the strength of the echo returned to the surface from the spatial location in the Earth corresponding to the 3D array index of the pixel. Labels for the training image are stored in a 1006 by 782 by 590 array of integers from 1 to 6, corresponding, pixel by pixel, to a labeling of the training image by an expert geologist. The six labels represent the following geologic facies identified in the image are:
Basement/Other : Basement Rocks or Other: May contain volcanic deposits in places. Low signal-to-noise (S/N) echo amplitudes. Few internal reflectors.
Slope Mudstone A : Slope to Basin Floor Mudstones. High-amplitude echoes at upper and lower boundaries. Low-amplitude continuous/semi-continuous internal reflectors
Mass Transport Deposit : Mix of Chaotic Facies and Low Amplitude Parallel Reflectors
Slope Mudstone B : Slope to Basin Floor Mudstones and Sandstones. High-amplitude parallel reflectors. Low-continuity scour surfaces.
Slope Valley : High-Amplitude Incised Channels/Valleys. Relatively low relief.
Submarine Canyon System : Submarine Canyon. Erosional Base is U-shaped with high local relief. Mostly deformed slope mudstone filled with isolated sinuous sand-filled channels near the basal surface. Internal fill is low-amplitude mix of parallel inclined surfaces and chaotic disrupted reflectors.
An unlabeled portion of a test image, contiguous spatially with the training image, will be available to apply the trained machine-learning algorithm to. Submissions (consisting of proposed labels for the test image) will be accepted and scored by a simple metric. A final leaderboard, based on the scores for the test image in Round 1, will be posted at the end of the Challenge.
Deadline: See the Challenge page on the AIcrowd Site.
Round 2: You will be required to optimize labels. Ground-truth labels for the test image will be posted along with a more sophisticated set of metrics that take into account geologic knowledge in comparing submitted labels with ground truth. Additional unlabeled test images will be released, and multiple submissions will be accepted from competitors with each submission scored by the full set of metrics, which should allow competitors to refine their solutions. A final submission due before the end of Round 2 will determine the final leaderboard. By submitting your solution timely and adhering to these Rules ("Rules") you are automatically eligible for the Contribution Prize & Best Agent Prize. Good luck!
Deadline: See the Challenge page on the AIcrowd Site.
5. Am I Eligible to Enter the Challenge?
You may enter this challenge individually or as a team of two or more members ("Team"). You are eligible to enter this Challenge if you (and each member of your Team) meet all of the following requirements as of the time and date of entry:
- You are an individual;
- You are 18 years of age or older but in no event less than the age of majority in your place of residence; and
- You have internet access, an e-mail account, and access to a personal computer.
The organizers will not be able to transfer prize money to accounts of participations who reside in any of the following countries or regions. (Please note that residents of these countries or regions are still allowed to participate in the Challenge, but no prize money will be available.)
- The Crimea region of Ukraine
- North Korea
- Quebec, Canada
Please Note: it is entirely your responsibility to review and understand your employer's and country's policies about your eligibility to participate in this Challenge. If you participate in violation of your employer's or country's policies, you and your entry may be disqualified from the Challenge. SEAM disclaims any and all liability or responsibility with respect to disputes arising between an employer and such employer's employee or between a country and its resident in relation to the Challenge.
6. Is the Entry an Eligible Entry?
To be eligible to be considered for a prize, as solely determined by SEAM:
The entry MUST:
- be in English;
- be the Team's own original work;
- not have been submitted previously in any promotion of any kind;
- not contain material or content that:
- is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, offensive, sexually explicit, pornographic, hateful, tortious, defamatory, or slanderous or libelous;
- promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual
- promotes discrimination based on race, gender, ethnicity, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age;
- promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, or tobacco;
- violates or infringes another's rights, including but not limited to rights of privacy, publicity, or intellectual property rights;
- is inconsistent with the message, brand, or image of SEAM;
- is unlawful; or
- is in violation of or contrary to these Rules or the laws or regulations of any jurisdiction in which the entry is created.
The Team Lead MUST:
- ensure the Team has obtained any and all consents, approvals, or licenses required for submission of the entry;
- obtain any consents necessary from all members of the Team with respect to the sharing of such member's personal information as outlined herein;
- obtain the agreement of all members of the Team to these Rules;
- not generate the entry by any means which violate these Rules;
- not engage in false, fraudulent, or deceptive acts at any phase during participation in the Challenge; and
- not tamper with or abuse any aspect of this Challenge.
If you, any Team member, or the entry is found to be ineligible for any reason, including but not limited to conflicts within Teams or noncompliance with these Rules, SEAM and SEAM Admins reserve the right to disqualify the entry and/or you and/or your Team members from this Challenge and any other contest or promotional activity sponsored or administered in any way by SEAM or SEAM affiliates.
8. How May the Entry Potentially be Used?
The entry may be used in a few different ways. SEAM does not claim to own your Team's entry; however, by submitting the entry you and each member of your Team:
- hereby grants to SEAM and SEAM affiliates a non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free, world-wide right and license to (i) review and analyze the entry in relation to this Challenge; and (ii) use the entry or parts of your entry in any media for any non-commercial or commercial purpose in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of SEAM, SEAM affiliates and their respective products and services;
- agrees that each member of your Team will execute any necessary paperwork for SEAM and SEAM affiliates to use the rights and licenses granted hereunder;
- acknowledges and agrees that the Team will not be compensated and may not be credited (at SEAM's sole discretion) for the use of the entry as described in these Rules;
- acknowledges that SEAM or SEAM affiliates may have developed or commissioned materials similar to the entry and waive any claims resulting from any similarities to the entry;
- understand that the entry may be posted on a public website or social media channel and that SEAM is not responsible for any unauthorized use of the entry by visitors to such site; and
- understand and acknowledge that, subject to provision of Prizes as provided for herein, SEAM is not obligated to use the entry in any way, even if the entry is selected as a winning entry.
9. How Will Winners be Selected and Notified?
Entries will be ranked via an algorithm based on the scoring metrics devised for each round. Each entry will be assigned a score based upon the algorithm and such ranking will be displayed on the AIcrowd Site's Challenge specific leaderboard ("Leaderboard").
The entries of Round 1 and Round 2 will be scored separately. There will be a separate Leaderboard for each round, but all cash prizes will be awarded based upon the Round 2 Leaderboard.
If two or more participating Teams have the same score, a secondary algorithmic metric will be added to the scores. If, after adding the secondary algorithmic metric, all scores remain identical, prizes will be awarded to the Teams with tied scores and will be shared evenly among the Teams.
Potential winners will be contacted within 72 hours of each Deadline via the email associated with the AIcrowd.com account through which the entry was submitted. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, does not respond as directed, refuses the prize, or is found to be ineligible for any reason, such prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. Only one alternate winner will be selected for each prize package, after which prizes will remain unawarded.
To the extent that there is any dispute as to the identity of the potential winner, the official account holder of the email address associated with the AIcrowd account through which the entry was first submitted will be deemed the official potential winner by SEAM.
10. Your Odds of Winning
ODDS OF WINNING A PRIZE ARE SUBJECT TO HOW YOUR ENTRY SCORES IN ACCORDANCE TO THE JUDGING CRITERIA IN COMPARISON TO ALL OTHER ENTRIES.
Prizes will be awarded as follows:
Leaderboard Prizes (based on final score at the end of round 1)
1 – DJI Mavic Air 2 Fly More Kit
2 – DJI Mavic Mini Fly More Kit
3 – DJI Mavic Mini Fly More Kit
4 – DJI Mavic Mini Fly More Kit
Community Contribution Prizes
1 – DJI Mavic Air 2 Fly More Kit
2 – DJI Mavic Mini Fly More Kit
3 – DJI Mavic Mini Fly More Kit
4 – DJI Mavic Mini Fly More Kit
Leaderboard Prizes (based on final score at the end of round 2)
1 – USD 13,000
2 – USD 7,000
3 – USD 5,000
- 2 Oculus Quest 2’s for Top 2 Contributions for the challenge!
- Leaderboard Prizes
- 1 – Oculus Quest 2
- 2 – Oculus Quest 2
- 3 – Oculus Quest 2
- Community Contribution Prizes
- 1 – Oculus Quest 2
- 2 – Oculus Quest 2
- 3 – Oculus Quest 2
- Previous winners who have already received a gadget as the prize for the leaderboard or the community contribution are not eligible for winning another award.
- These leaderboard winners are eligible for the prize if they have a minimum weighted F1 score of 0.857 on the leaderboard.
12. When Will Prizes Be Awarded?
We will make all efforts to deliver prizes within two months of the end of the competition as indicated on the Challenge page on the AIcrowd Site. All members of a Team may be required to complete and sign additional documentation, such as a non-disclosures, representations and warranties, liability and publicity releases (unless prohibited by applicable law), and tax documents, or other similar documentation in order for the potentially winning Team to claim the prize. For Teams in excess of one member, the prize will be awarded to the Team Lead. SEAM will in no way be involved in any dispute with respect to receipt of a prize by any other members of a Team.
Only prizes claimed in accordance with these Rules will be awarded.
13. Winner List
A list of all winners of this Challenge will be posted on the AIcrowd Site and may be announced at SEAM's discretion via SEAM's or SEAM affiliates' Twitter, Facebook, blog, or website, or at a SEAM or a SEAM affiliate sponsored or hosted event.
14. Your Personal Data and Privacy
SEAM does not intend to collect any personal data unless explicitly authorized in writing by you.
Please read the terms and conditions of the AIcrowd Site carefully to understand how your data may be used by AIcrowd SA.
15. Additional Terms and Conditions
If SEAM determines, in its sole discretion, that any portion of this Challenge is compromised by virus, bugs, unauthorized human intervention, or any other causes beyond its control, that in the sole opinion of SEAM corrupts, or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper participation in/of the Challenge, SEAM reserves the right to (a) cancel the Challenge; (b) suspend the Challenge until such time the aforementioned issues may be resolved; or (c) for purposes of awarding prizes, consider only those entries submitted prior to when the Challenge was so compromised.
To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, you agree that SEAM, SEAM's affiliates, and SEAM Admins, and each of their directors, officers, employees, agents and assigns, will not be liable for personal injuries, death, damages, expenses or costs or losses of any kind resulting from participation or inability to participate in the Challenge or acceptance of or use or inability to use a prize or parts thereof including, without limitation, claims, suits, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light (whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory.
Your use of any other products and services required by these Rules, whether required by these Rules or not, are subject to the terms and conditions associated with such products or services, including the AIcrowd Site and services.
In the event any clause or provision of these Rules proves unenforceable, void or incomplete, the validity of the other conditions will remain unaffected.