COMPETITION OFFICIAL RULES
PLEASE READ THESE OFFICIAL RULES CAREFULLY. ENTRY INTO THIS COMPETITION CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ANY PART OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES, PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THIS CHALLENGE.
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. Competition Description
To help you "Get Started" we have a starter kit available for each of these problems. We hope they are helpful; if you find any bugs, typos, or improvements, please send us a pull request. This Challenge will be run in accordance with these Official Rules ("Rules").
The Competition is organized by AICrowd SA, EPFL Innovation Park, Bâtiment C, c/o Fondation EPFL Innovation Park, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland, and VEO: Versatile emerging infectious disease observatory: forecasting, nowcasting and tracking in a changing worlds. VEO has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under Grant Agreement Nº 874735. The VEO consortium consists of 20 partners from 12 European countries coordinated by the Erasmus University Medical Centre (EMC). These third parties will be known as “Sponsors”.
3. Organizers Admins
“Organizers Admins” are any companies or organizations authorized by Organizers to aid them with the administration, sponsorship or execution of this Challenge including but not limited to AICrowd SA. The organizers for this challenge include Mosquito Alert platform coordinated by Centro de Estudios Avanzados de Blanes del Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC), la Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF), el Centro de Investigación Ecológica y Aplicaciones Forestales (CREAF) y la Institució Catalana de Recerca i Estudis Avançats (ICREA).
You may enter this challenge individually or as a team of two or more members ("Team"). You are eligible to enter this Challenge if you (and each member of your Team) meet all of the following requirements as of the time and date of entry:
- You are an individual;
- You are 16 years of age or older but in no event less than the age of majority in your place of residence; and
- You have internet access, an email account, and access to a personal computer.
The organizers will not be able to transfer the travel grant and Macbook Pro to accounts of participants who reside in any of the following countries or regions. (Please note that residents of these countries or regions are still allowed to participate in the Challenge, but no prizes will be available.)
- The Crimea region of Ukraine
- North Korea
- Quebec, Canada
Please Note: it is entirely your responsibility to review and understand your employer's and country's policies about your eligibility to participate in this Challenge. If you participate in violation of your employer's or country's policies, you and your entry may be disqualified from the Challenge. The organizers disclaim any and all liability or responsibility with respect to disputes arising between an employer and such employer's employee or between a country and its resident in relation to the Challenge.
5. Competition Start and End Dates
- Start date: 20 June 2023, 12:00 UTC
- End date: 20 October 2022, 12:00 UTC
The prizes for the challenge are as follows:
- 🥇 First place : AMLD Travel Grant & Conference Access + Macbook Pro
- 🥈 Second place : AMLD Travel Grant & Conference Access
- 🥉 Third place : AMLD Travel Grant & Conference Access
The top 3 challenge winners will receive travel grants to the Applied Machine Learning Days at EPFL, Switzerland, in March 2024. Included is a full conference pass. In addition, the top 3 challenge winners will receive AWS cloud credits.
The winning team , first on the leaderboard, will be awarded a single laptop, and the distribution among team members is at their discretion. Additionally, the team will receive a travel grant of 2500 CHF, which can be used to cover travel, accommodation, and conference-related expenses. The team has the flexibility to decide how they wish to utilise the grant.
To be eligible for the prizes, participants will have to release the training and inference code to their solutions under a permissive e.g. BSD, MIT, Apache, (not exclusive) or copyleft e.g. MPL, EPL, LGPL, AGPL, GPL (not exclusive) license from the OSI Approved Licenses https://opensource.org/licenses/. The submitted training and inference code is expected to be reproducible and should produce the same score on the leaderboard. The winning participants will have to provide a valid and unexpired ID card or passport which AIcrowd will use only for the purpose of verifying the individual's identity for internal record keeping.
Any and all prize(s) is(are) non transferable. All taxes, fees and expenses associated with participation in the Challenge or receipt and use of a prize are the sole responsibility of the Prize Winner(s). No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by winners is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for AIcrowd to use winner’s name and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation unless prohibited by law.
The participation of the Organizers and Organizer Admins, its employees and its affiliates, parents, agents, representatives, advertising and promotional agencies and members of the immediate family (parents, children or siblings) of these employees or any person with whom they are domiciled, are permitted to participate in the challenge but will not be eligible to win the prize.
7. Data Use Agreement
By participating in this challenge, you ("the Participant") agree to the following terms and conditions regarding data use:
Transparency: The Participant agrees to maintain complete transparency when incorporating additional data from external sources. This includes clear documentation of methods used and adherence to ethical standards.
External Dataset Usage: When using an external public dataset, the Participant must ensure the dataset allows non-commercial or research use. Terms of usage and licensing must be complied with, and may vary depending on the data source. In context of the MosquitoAlert data source, any publicly available MosquitoAlert data other than the datasets released as a part of the resources of this competition are not considered as valid external data sources, and Participants are not allowed to use the same in preparation of their solution for any of the phases of the competition.
Dataset Declaration: In instances where the Participant collects their own dataset for training purposes, it must be made available to other participants and organizers, under a license that permits use in this competition. A link to the dataset should be shared bybefore the end of the challenge by 3012th October, 2023.
Violation of these terms and conditions may result in disqualification from the challenge. By accepting these terms and conditions, the Participant confirms understanding and agreement to the above stipulations.
8. Is the Entry an Eligible Entry?
To be eligible to be considered for a prize, as solely determined by the Organizers: The Entry MUST:
The Entry MUST:
- be compatible with the official submission format;
- be self-contained and function without a dependency on any external services and network access
- be in English;
- be the Team’s own original work;
- not have been submitted previously in any promotion of any kind;
- not contain material or content that: is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, offensive, sexually explicit, pornographic, hateful, tortious, defamatory, or slanderous or libelous; or promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, ethnicity, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age; or promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, or tobacco; or violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to rights of privacy, publicity, or their intellectual property rights; or is inconsistent with the message, brand, or image of Organizers, is unlawful; or is in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations of any jurisdiction in which the Entry is created; and
The Team members MUST:
- designate one person as the team leader who will be solely responsible for receiving communications from and communicating with Sponsor;
- ensure the Team has obtained any and all consents, approvals, or licenses required for submission of the Entry;
- obtain any consents necessary from all members of the Team with respect to the sharing of such member’s personal information as outlined herein;
- obtain the agreement of all members of the Team to these Rules;
- not engage in false, fraudulent, or deceptive acts at any phase during participation in the Challenge; and
- not tamper or abuse any aspect of this Challenge.
If you, any Team member, or the Entry is found to be ineligible for any reason, including but not limited to conflicts within Teams and noncompliance with these Rules, Organizers and Organizers Affiliates reserve the right to disqualify the Entry and/or you and/or your Team members from this Challenge and any other contest or promotional activity sponsored or administered in any way by the Organizers.
A participant is not allowed to create more than one account to participate in the challenge. Violating this will result in disqualification from the challenge.
Participants should not attempt to get around the limited number of submissions during the test phase by entering several teams into the competition. Participants should only be associated with one Entry. If two teams have overlap of participants, or if the organizers deem two entries to be effectively similar modulo small changes, they reserve the right to disqualify both teams.
If a participating team does not receive the Prizes for any of the above-mentioned reasons, the prizes will be offered to the next eligible team on the final leaderboard.
10. How may the Entry potentially be used?
The Entry may be used in a few different ways. Organizers do not claim to own your Team’s Entry, however, by submitting the Entry you and each member of your Team:
- hereby grants to Organizers a non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free, world-wide right and license to mosquito related data generated from the Entry, and possibly released as an open-source dataset;
- to be used in a report submitted to Organizers after the competition has ended, and possibly released as an open-source dataset; Admins to use the rights and licenses granted hereunder;
- acknowledges and agrees that the Team will not be compensated and may not be credited (at Organizer’s sole discretion) for the use of the Entry as described in these Rules;
- acknowledges that the Organizers may have developed or commissioned materials similar to the Entry and waive any claims resulting from any similarities to the Entry;
- understand and acknowledge that, subject to the provision of Prizes, Organizers are not obligated to use the Entry in any way, even if the Entry is selected as a winning Entry.
- agrees that each member will execute any necessary paperwork for Organizers and Organizers Admins to use the rights and licenses granted hereunder;
The solution developed in this challenge can be utilised for generating neural network models suitable for production or real-time implementation. Personal data you submit in relation to this Challenge will be used by Organisers.
11. How will Winners be Selected and Notified?
A list of all winners of this Challenge will be posted on AIcrowd Site and may be announced at Organizers' discretion via Organizers' Twitter, Facebook, Blog, or Website, or at an Organizer or Organizer, Admins sponsored or hosted event.
12. Your Odds of Winning
ODDS OF WINNING A PRIZE ARE SUBJECT TO THE TOTAL NUMBER OF ELIGIBLE ENTRIES RECEIVED AND HOW YOUR ENTRY SCORES IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE JUDGING CRITERIA.
13. When will prizes be awarded?
The prizes will be awarded within a commercially reasonable time frame to the designated Team Leader unless otherwise agreed to by Team Leader, remaining Team members and Organizer. All members of a Team may be required to complete and sign additional documentation, such as non-disclosures, representations and warranties, liability and publicity releases (unless prohibited by applicable law), and tax documents, or other similar documentation in the manner and within the timeframe specified by Organizer in order for the potentially winning team to claim the prize. Organizers will in no way be involved in any dispute with respect to receipt of a prize by any other members of a Team, including, without limitation, division of the prize value among Team members.
Winners are responsible for any tax liability that may result from receipt of any prize. Only prizes claimed in accordance with these Rules will be awarded.
14. Your Personal Data and Privacy
Organizers may use the personal data you provide via your participation in this Challenge:
- to contact you in relation to the Challenge;
- to confirm the details of your Entry;
- to administer and execute this Challenge, including sharing it with Organizer Admins;
- at Organizers’ discretion, to credit you and/or your Team for the Entry, identify you and/or your Team as a Winner, or other similar notice; and
- as otherwise noted in these Rules or as necessary for Organizers to meet their obligations under these Rules or applicable law.
Organizers only require name and email address to be submitted for you to participate in this Challenge for its uses as outlined in the Participation Terms. Please read the AIcrowd Terms and Conditions, Participation Terms carefully to understand how your data may be used by AIcrowd SA.
15. Additional Terms and Conditions
- The organizer reserves the right to amend the Rules and timeline without giving prior notification or any reasons thereof.
- In case of conflicts, the decision of the Organizers will be final and binding.
- Violation of the rules or other unfair activity may result in disqualification.
- By participating in the Challenge, each Participant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the Challenge, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action; and under no circumstances will a Participant be permitted to obtain any award for, and each Participant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages.