ImageCLEF 2021 VQA-Med - VQG
Note: ImageCLEF 2021 VQA-Med includes 2 subtasks. This page is about the Visual Question Generation (VQG) subtask. For information about the Visual Question Answering (VQA) subtask click here. Both challenges share the same dataset, so registering for one of these challenges will automatically give you access to the other one.
Note: Do not forget to read the Rules section on this page. Pressing the red Participate button leads you to a page where you have to agree with those rules. You will not be able to submit any results before agreeing with the rules.
Note: Before trying to submit results, read the Submission instructions section on this page
The Visual Question Generation (VQG) task consists in generating relevant natural language questions about radiology images based on their visual content.
- Website: https://www.imageclef.org/2021/medical/vqa
- Mailing List: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/imageclef-vqa-med
- AIcrowd projects: VQG & VQA
- 16 November 2020: Registration opens
- 5 March 2021: Release of the training and validation sets
- 29 April 2021: Release of the test sets
- 30 April 2021: Registration closes
- 10 May 2021: Run submission deadline
- 17 May 2021: Release of the processed results by the task organizers
- 21 May 2021: Submission of participant papers
- 11 June 2021: Notification of acceptance
- 2 July 2021: Camera-ready copy of participant papers
- 21-24 September 2021: The CLEF Conference, Bucharest, Romania
As soon as the data is released it will be available under the "Resources" tab.
As soon as the submission is open, you will find a “Create Submission” button on this page.
1. Click on the red 'create submission' button at the top right next to the horizontal menu tabs. If the button is not there please make sure that your EUA was accepted and that you also hit the participate button before.
2. Fill in the required information and select a file to submit. Then hit submit.
3. You will now land on the submissions page and should be able to see the submission status. It will show your score or an error message (if there was a framework error or validation error). The status does not automatically get refreshed, so you have to reload the page to see updates to the status.
Note: In order to participate in this challenge you have to sign an End User Agreement (EUA). You will find more information on the 'Resources' tab.
ImageCLEF lab is part of the Conference and Labs of the Evaluation Forum: CLEF 2021. CLEF 2021 consists of independent peer-reviewed workshops on a broad range of challenges in the fields of multilingual and multimodal information access evaluation, and a set of benchmarking activities carried in various labs designed to test different aspects of mono and cross-language Information retrieval systems. More details about the conference can be found here.
Submitting a working note with the full description of the methods used in each run is mandatory. Any run that could not be reproduced thanks to its description in the working notes might be removed from the official publication of the results. Working notes are published within CEUR-WS proceedings, resulting in an assignment of an individual DOI (URN) and an indexing by many bibliography systems including DBLP. According to the CEUR-WS policies, a light review of the working notes will be conducted by ImageCLEF organizing committee to ensure quality. As an illustration, ImageCLEF 2020 working notes (task overviews and participant working notes) can be found within CLEF 2020 CEUR-WS proceedings.
Participants of this challenge will automatically be registered at CLEF 2021. In order to be compliant with the CLEF registration requirements, please edit your profile by providing the following additional information:
Regarding the username, please choose a name that represents your team.
This information will not be publicly visible and will be exclusively used to contact you and to send the registration data to CLEF, which is the main organizer of all CLEF labs
Participating as an individual (non affiliated) researcher
We welcome individual researchers, i.e. not affiliated to any institution, to participate. We kindly ask you to provide us with a motivation letter containing the following information:
the presentation of your most relevant research activities related to the task/tasks
your motivation for participating in the task/tasks and how you want to exploit the results
a list of the most relevant 5 publications (if applicable)
the link to your personal webpage
The motivation letter should be directly concatenated to the End User Agreement document or sent as a PDF file to bionescu at imag dot pub dot ro. The request will be analyzed by the ImageCLEF organizing committee. We reserve the right to refuse any applicants whose experience in the field is too narrow, and would therefore most likely prevent them from being able to finish the task/tasks.
Information will be posted after the challenge ends.
ImageCLEF 2021 is an evaluation campaign that is being organized as part of the CLEF initiative labs. The campaign offers several research tasks that welcome participation from teams around the world. The results of the campaign appear in the working notes proceedings, published by CEUR Workshop Proceedings (CEUR-WS.org). Selected contributions among the participants, will be invited for publication in the following year in the Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) together with the annual lab overviews.
- Asma Ben Abacha, National Library of Medicine, USA
- Mourad Sarrouti, National Library of Medicine, USA
- Sadid A. Hasan, CVS Health, USA
- Dina Demner-Fushman, National Library of Medicine, USA
- Henning Müller, University of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland, Sierre, Switzerland
Mailing List & Discussion Forum
If you have any questions, please let us know on the VQA-Med mailing list: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/imageclef-vqa-med
You can also ask questions related to this challenge on the Discussion Forum (click Discussion tab above or this link). Before asking a new question please make sure that question has not been asked before.
We strongly encourage you to use the public channels mentioned above for communications between the participants and the organizers. In extreme cases, if there are any queries or comments that you would like to make using a private communication channel, then you can send us an email at :
You can find additional information on the challenge here: https://www.imageclef.org/2021/medical/vqa